As the center of geopolitics, economy, culture, technology and education, City is a densely populated gathering place and complicated system, which includes numerous subsystems. City management is all-inclusive and difficult. As for mayors, it is paramount to construct future competitiveness, improve vitality index in city life. The details are shown as following:
1. GDP should not be the sole indicator of appraising Mayor performance.
Cities people dwelled in are often confronted with many questions like garbage disposal, sewage treatment, which serve as a system engineering. Therefore, mayors shall consider the city development in a comprehensive way and not view GDP as the sole indicator.
2. Mayors shall consider city planning and construction from a long-term point of view and keep successors' work in mind.
The tenure of a mayor generally lasts 3-5 years, while city dwellers will not relocate in the period, and some even live there from generation to generation. Therefore, we shall consider the city planning and construction in terms of people's health and livability, make efforts to build a city into one with good livability, health, high life index and happiness index. Lately, the happiness index released by UN showed that 4 countries in North Europe held high happiness index, while China only occupied well over one hundredth place and Taiwan near ninetieth place. Therefore, the first question mayors shall consider is to take people as the foremost.
3. We shall not only establish innovative new governmental policies in the course of economic development, but establish a set of mechanism to support enterprise innovation by using human, material and financial resources. The mature innovation technology will make great contribution to urban development. Government shall increase the proportion of technology input in GDP to achieve long-term development.
4. Urban development is not possible without educational GDP input. Education is the foundation for talents. We can not culture high-tech talents to invent innovative technology without top-grade higher education institutions, then industrial structure transformation，emerging energy technology and low carbon technology will have no foundation without such innovative technology.
5. We shall execute urban environment emission standard from an overall perspective.
Take Taiyuan city as an example, all the enterprises there have met with the standard set by national environment sectors except for Taiyuan city as a whole. Therefore, we must carry out the evaluation of total environmental governance task of Taiyuan city according to its special terrain and feature, and further distribute it to enterprises, to expand new enterprises or rebuild old ones, otherwise, environmental improvement will not be achieved in the true sense.
6. We must consider both long-term and short-term interests, enhance urban glamour and competitiveness in the process of economic development.
Service industry has accounted for 82% of the total in USA, and industry upgrade has been achieved, while in China, 70% of energy consumption are from industry. For example, many domestic cities developed auto industry immoderately, which added serious traffic pollution to the existing industrial pollution, if such cases continue all the way, I couldn't really imagine how carbon-emission situation will be in the next 20 or 30 years. First, we shall take measures to control the carbon emission situation so as not to deteriorate; second, we shall control and regulate it consciously, and further to reduce it. After the accomplishment of industrialization, we will reduce the carbon emission substantially, at the same time, we must be alert to the lessons from USA, where traffic situation generated a serious of emission pollution.
7. We shall show concern for soft environmental construction in the city. We shall never distinguish city dwellers as first, second or third class citizens, and push forward economic equality measures for every one in a practical way, ensuring each citizen share fair development fruits and social resource. There should be no status hierarchy for city development and construction. The important matters for mayors to consider are: how to guide the rich area to help that has not yet become rich.